I turn 28 today!
I don't know if its this age or the fact this past year has left me with a lot of quiet time to reflect, but I've been thinking a lot lately about life and all the things I've accomplished, failed, learned, and tried in these 28 years. Sometimes I still feel like I'm 16, but I like to think I've learned a thing or two along the way and wanted to share some of them...
1. Foster friendships that care about your well being, rather than just a good time. Everyone loves a fun night out, but its 100x more important to have friends who challenge you, understand you, and support you.
2. Take videos.
Even if you feel goofy for having your phone out. Life fast and being able to relive all the emotions, laughs and joy is priceless.
3. Plans will change.
I always said I wanted to be having my first kid by 28 and here I am with a 4 year old. Plan, but don't grip them too closely because life happens.
4. Stop the glorification of being busy.
There is no honor in burning your candle at both ends. I've spent countless hours behind screens, missing out on family time, losing sleep and working until the early hour mornings because I felt I had to. We have to stop measuring our value by how much we can fit into a day. Set boundaries and make time for things that fill your cup.
5. Actions always, always, ALWAYS, speak louder than words.
6. Accept your situation, change your mindset.
There are certainly paths in life I wouldn't have chosen again, but life is too short to wallow over things you can't change. Learn to accept the situations you're in and improve it.
7. Don't listen to sad music when you're sad. It just makes your more sad.
8. Forgive yourself for your past mistakes. They got you where you are today. They've sculpted the person you are.
9. Don't apologize for having emotions. You're allowed to be angry, sad, happy, hurt, whatever... your emotions are valid.
10. Save your money. Just because you have it doesn't mean you should spend it.
11. Learn about yourself. Take all the enneagram, love language, personality tests there, but also pay attention to how you react to things. The more you know yourself the more you'll be able to take control of your life and make healthy decisions.
12. Ask for help.
I spent a lot of time not wanting help from anyone because I felt like I had to prove I was independent and self sufficient. You can still be those things but need help sometimes.
13. Work out. Not because you want to have perfect abs, but because life gets harder and having an outlet will help you. Bonus, you might get perfect abs.
14. Comparison is the thief of joy.
Stop comparing yourself to anyone else's. Its a soul sucker. You can't be anyone but you and thats amazing. So stop trying putting your energy into trying to something impossible. You will end up disappointed every time. Focus that energy into your own life!
15. Time REALLY does fly.
16. Your parents were probably right.
17. The easy way isn't always the right way.
18. Going to therapy isn't something to be ashamed of. I think everyone should do it,
19. Being vulnerable doesn't make you weak.
20. Let that sh!t go.
You're not doing yourself any favors by hanging on to it.
21. Learn to say no.
I'm a people pleaser to a fault. Don't let people walk all over you. Learning to say "no" when you need to feels good.
22. You can learn from everybody.
Good or bad, you can learn something from them.
23. You cannot give what you don't have.
You can't bring peace if you're not at peace. You can't give happiness if you are not happy.
24. You can't change people.
You can encourage people, but they have to want to change.
25. Don't change yourself to make other people happy.
26. People will treat you how you let them.
So show people how you want to be treated.
27. Everything's going to be OK.
Even the things that bring you to your knees. In time, it will be OK.
28. TREAT. YO. SELF
next blog post
previous blog post